AddthatXtraintheordinary

AddthatXtraintheordinary

Monday, July 16, 2012

Poetry in the rock cut caves.

Last weekend we had a day-out amidst the caves and hills of the rain drenched Western Ghats of Maharashtra,India and I've come back with some beautiful photos to share with you of Incredible India.
A visit to the Karla caves,and its rock cut carvings left me spell bound ....
 I stood mesmerised looking at these fabulous archeological findings of rock carved poetry and oh, how I wished I could carry some of them home ... sigh!

As I walked through these colonnade, I found myself lost in the pages of my school's history books.What marvellous work of art and architecture it is! This definitely requires a round of applause to those thousand artisans who had such acute sense of art and creativity in them yet their  talent and work of art are left unsung ....


These caves house one big Chaitya griha (Buddhist  hall of worship) inside it and the perfection found in the symmetry of these arches and columns during the olden times,when computers never existed for the measurements, is simply amazing!

These imposing pillars have a story to tell,the Lion Capital as it is called was first erected around 250 BC by Emperor Ashoka the Great to mark the spot where Lord Buddha had first preached his Dharma(Gospel of peace and emancipation).The pillar with the four lion head was adopted as the National Emblem of India on 26th January 1950,the day India became a republic.It has an origin steeped in the culture and myraid colors of India.
The overcast skies, the monsoons(rain), the lush greenery, the rocky terrain,the poetry carved in the caves all these have cast a spell on me and I am still heady and dreamy,want this feeling to last .... so I dream on!

Hugs Auro

Joining in with:






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be love.. in the gorgeous caves.. Gosh.. this looks soooooooooooooooo amazing.. lovely!!

Impressed with this little tour.. wish I was somewhere near by.. so I could hop over.. :)

Honey at 2805 said...

Such a a fascinating tour and beautiful images!

I am happily following you too!

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Such majestic rock carvings and how beautifully you captured the crafts- manship of a bygone era. Thanks for sharing such beautiful images. Happy Wednesday!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

You are correct in using the term "extraordinary"! The images cut out of rock are quite amazing.

Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday.

Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

The details are quite amazing! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...